Assignment: Discussion Abnormal Psychology.
Assignment: Discussion Abnormal Psychology.
Considering concepts and phenomena from different theoretical perspectives can broaden your understanding. In this Discussion, you will consider maladaptive behaviors from several different theoretical perspectives or viewpoints.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources. Focus on the causal factors and viewpoints in Chapter 3 of Abnormal Psychology.
- Be sure to read the examples for each of the different causal viewpoints and factors.
- Think about the effect of taking different viewpoints on diagnosis and assessment.
- Choose one psychological disorder and put the name of the disorder in the subject line of your post.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post by Day 4 a description of one psychological disorder and explain the disorder from two or more causal viewpoints.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references from the Learning Resources.
Assignment 2: Analyzing Theories of Crime
You are an investigative reporter for a large news network. You are working on a news piece identifying how theories of crime explain specific crimes including the demographics of perpetrators and victims. You are required to make a thirty-minute presentation to your producers to convince them to run your story.
Choose a specific crime from the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program at the following:
- US Department of Justice, The Federal Bureau of Investigation. (2009). 2008 Crime in the United States: About crime in the U.S. Retrieved from
Research this crime using your textbook, the Argosy University online library resources, and the Internet. Be sure to include the UCR and other crime reports in your research
Based on your research, develop a presentation that addresses the following:
- Define the crime. Include both the legal definition and others as necessary.
- Summarize demographics of the crime for both the perpetrators and the victim. Be sure to cover the following:
- Socioeconomic characteristics
- Other relevant diversity issues
- Choose two theories of the causes of crime that have been discussed and analyzed so far in the course; apply those theories to the selected crime. Be sure to cover the following:
- Explain the type of each theory in detail.
- Discuss the development of each theory and the main theorists associated with them.
- Compare and contrast the two theories of crime selected. Discuss the ways in which they fit with the crime and the specific demographics associated with the crime.
- Based on your research, develop your own hypothesis of the cause of this crime. Using the theories that you have chosen, you can develop your own “combination” theory.
- Give valid reasons and scholarly, peer-reviewed sources in support of your theory.
You are allowed to present your theory in first person; however, be careful not to abuse this privilege.
Your presentation should include the following:
- A title slide and a reference slide (these will not count towards the total number of slides).
- At least five sentences of speaker notes for each section to clarify anything not included in the slides. (As this is a presentation the slides should cover the main points and the details should be covered in the speaker’s notes.) The speaker notes should be properly referenced.
By the due date assigned, deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Grading Criteria and Rubric
Assignment 2 Grading CriteriaMaximum PointsProvide definitions of the crime. Include both the legal definition and other definitions that you find in your research.20Draw from the UCR and other crime reports to summarize demographics of the crime for both the perpetrators and the victim. Include details about gender, ethnicity, socioeconomic characteristics, and other relevant diversity issues.24Explain the type of each theory.20Discuss the development of each theory and the main theorists associated with each.24Compare and contrast the two theories of crime selected. Discuss the ways in which they fit with the crime and the specific demographics that are associated with the crime.32Based on your research, develop your own hypothesis of the cause of this crime. Using the theories that you have chosen, you can develop your own “combination” theory. Give valid reasons and sources in support of your theory.36Presentation Components:
Usage and mechanics (12)
APA elements (16)