Assignment: practice of psychology
Assignment: Define theory and explain its function. How does theory relate to the practice of psychology?
1. A researcher is interested in studying the effects of different levels of distraction—none, low, and high—on scores on a test of visual memory. Participants are randomly assigned to one of three conditions: no distraction, low distraction, or high distraction. All participants engage in a test of visual memory. What is the independent variable? What is the dependent variable? What is the purpose of random assignment to groups? What is the purpose of random assignment to groups?
2. Define theory and explain its function. How does theory relate to the practice of psychology?
3. Define hypothesis and provide an example.
4. Describe the content that should appear in a well-written informed consent form for a research study. Why is it important to obtain informed consent? What are the three principles outlined by the Belmont Report? What additional concerns do you have (if any) when obtaining consent from a minor?
5. What is the function of an institutional review board?
6. What is an operational definition of a variable? How might the variable sense of humor be defined operationally? (2 points)
7. Complete Table 4.1 on p. 72 of the text. For each of the eight examples listed, determine whether a positive, negative, or curvilinear relationship exists.
8. Define reliability as it relates to measurement of behavior.
9. Define and describe scales of measurement.
10. What is the difference between construct validity, internal validity, and external validity?
11. What is the difference between correlation and causation? How are third variables controlled for?
Clinical psychology is the psychological specialty that provides continuing and comprehensive mental and behavioral health care for individuals and families; consultation to agencies and communities; training, education and supervision; and research-based practice.