Darius, a 65-year-old black man, was referred to the clinic for evaluation of high blood pressure noted on an initial screening.
NU641 Advanced Clinical Pharmacology
Week 2 Assignment
Interactive Hypertension Case Study
In this assignment, you will review the interactive Hypertension Case Study patient scenario and analyze the data to determine the health status of the patient. You will need a minimum of two evidence-based practice articles using the clinical practice guidelines, as well as the course textbook.
Use the NU641 Hypertension Case Study Questions (Word) document to complete the case study assignment.
Follow the requirements posted in the rubric.
This case study should be three to five pages, excluding title and references pages.
All papers must conform to the most recent APA standards.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
NU641: Advanced Clinical Pharmacology
Case Study Week 2 Hypertension
Review the patient case study and answer the questions provided. You are expected to include two evidence-based practice articles to support your work. Additionally, you will need to include the national guidelines for any treatment plans/options. All papers must conform to the most recent APA standards.
Darius, a 65-year-old black man, was referred to the clinic for evaluation of high blood pressure noted on an initial screening. He reports having headaches and nocturia. He states that he has gained 8 pounds over the last year.
Past medical history:
Appendectomy 30 years ago
Peptic ulcer disease 10 years ago
Type 2 diabetes mellitus for 10 years
Father had hypertension; died of myocardial infarction at age 55.
Mother had diabetes mellitus and hypertension; died of cerebrovascular accident at age 60.
Height 69 in, weight 90 kg
BP: 140/89 mm Hg (left arm), 138/82 mm Hg (right arm)
Pulse: 84 beats/minute, regular
Funduscopic examination: mild arterial narrowing, sharp discs, no exudates or hemorrhages
Blood urea nitrogen: 24 mg/dL
Serum creatinine: 1.1 mg/dL
Glucose: 95 mg/dL
Potassium: 4.0 mEq/L
Total cholesterol: 201 mg/dL
High-density lipoprotein cholesterol: 30 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 167 mg/dL
Urinalysis: within normal limit (no proteinuria)
Electrocardiogram and chest radiograph: mild left ventricular hypertrophy
Tobacco: 35 pack years
Alcohol: 1 pint of vodka/week
Coffee: 2 cups/day
Diagnosis: Stage 1 Hypertension
1. List specific goals for treating Darius hypertension.
2. What drug therapy would you prescribe? Why?
3. What are the parameters for monitoring success of the therapy?
4. Discuss specific patient education based on the prescribed therapy.
5. List one or two adverse reactions for the selected agent that would cause you to change therapy.
6. What would be the choice for second-line therapy?
7. What over-the-counter and/or alternative medications would be appropriate for Darius?
8. What lifestyle changes would you recommend to Darius?
9. Describe one or two drugdrug or drugfood interaction for the selected agent.