Executive Summary Of Organizational Diversity
BSN FP 4008 Assessment 3: Executive Summary of Organizational Diversity
Executive Summary Of Organizational Diversity
IT IS IMPORTANT TO COVER THE COMPETENCIES !!!
Write a 35 page executive summary that examines an organizations diversity policies and practices.
Becoming a nursing leader requires a good deal of thought, consideration, and evaluation of the qualities you believe are essential for a nurse to effectively lead in the delivery of health care.
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
· Competency 2: Apply systems theory and systems thinking to facilitate health care delivery and patient outcomes.
(IMPORTANT) Analyze the impact of a diverse nursing workforce on patient outcomes.
· Competency 3: Analyze the role of multiculturalism and diversity in organizational and systems structure and leadership.
(IMPORTANT)-Analyze how a health care organization integrates diversity and multiculturalism into its practices.
(IMPORTANT)-Analyze current recruitment and retention policies to identify gaps between best practices and current policies.
· Competency 4: Evaluate how power relates to health care organizational structure, behavior, and leadership.
(IMPORTANT) -Recommend evidence-based changes to the organizational structure and systems leadership that empower a diverse workforce.
· Competency 5: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with the expectations of a nursing professional.
(IMPORTANT) -Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, mechanics, and current APA style.
To prepare for this assessment, use the Capella library and the Internet to study the impact of health systems power structure on nursing, leadership, diversity related to empowerment in nursing and patient outcomes, and recruitment of a diverse workforce. You may also wish to look for examples of an executive summary on the Internet.
· Identify a type of health care facility and examine the Web site and available public information to review the organization of the nursing department, nursing recruitment, and any information about the diversity of the systems workforce and leadership.
o You may use the health care setting in which you currently work or have worked in the past.
o Describe the type of organization and region. Example: a major Midwestern teaching hospital or a rehabilitation hospital on the East Coast.
o Do not report the name of the facility.
Deliverable: Executive Summary of Organizational Diversity
Read the following scenario:
The city in which you work has undergone a significant population shift within the last 10 years, due to increased employment, education opportunities, and an influx of immigrants and refugees. To put the population shift in perspective, the local school district enrollment report states that nearly 100 languages are spoken in the schools, up from 32 languages in the last census. Senior leadership has asked you to examine all types of multiculturalism and diversity within your health care organization.
To do this, you will need to use a systems perspective to examine the relationship between a diverse workforce and patient outcomes; identify gaps between best practices and the organizations diversity policies, and make a recommendation for organizational change.
In the executive summary:
· Analyze the impact of a diverse workforce on patient outcomes.
o In what ways or situations might multiculturalism and diversity impact health care delivery or patient outcomes?
o How is diversity defined in the organization?
· Analyze how the health care system integrates diversity and multiculturalism into its practices.
o Is the makeup of the organizations leadership representative of the patient and employee populations? Is this important? What would you change?
o Explain how multiculturalism and diversity can impact health care delivery or patient outcomes.
· Analyze current recruitment and retention policies to identify gaps between best practices and current policies.
· Assess the level of integration and importance of multiculturalism and diversity in a health care organization.
o Are all types of diversity recognized and included?
o Provide support for your position by including 2 or 3 examples of the integration of multiculturalism and diversity into the organization.
· Recommend evidence-based changes to the organizational structure and systems leadership that empower a diverse workforce.
o What changes would you champion as a health care leader to make the system more responsive to patients and the organizations workforce?
Make your document easy to scan for readers by:
· Using subheadings to organize content.
· Using bullet points and phrases for main points, in addition to short, succinct paragraphs.
· Including a visual, such as a graph, table, or chart.
· Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that distract from the overall message.
· APA formatting: Resources and in-text citations should be formatted according to current APA style and formatting.
· Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point, double-spaced.
· Length: Summary report should be 35 pages.
· Number of resources: Use a minimum of three peer-reviewed resources.
With approximately 9 million Americans identify themselves as being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (2014, p. 3-4). The workforce of today needs to be inclusive to reflect consumers and drive better business practices. It is also the progression of the working world that started with affirmative action to require diversity through race inclusion regulations. This advance in culture and workforce is becoming more apparent with the changes in laws and overall acceptance of the GL community. It is also imperative that organizations work to integrate a diverse work-force and create an environment that encourages diversity. A key obstacle to diversity is prejudice. As pointed out in The Holistic Approach to Diversity Management organizations that realize the benefits of a diverse workforce and how it grow an organization as a resource with more access to information to deal with better problem-solving and decision-making processes and that this inclusion of diversity is the cure for prejudices and bias (2009, p 455).
The other side of inclusive practices goes into the practice and implementation of programs that include training and working with managers on every level to ensure completion of the changes into a diverse workplace. This is a