Health And Wellness Assignment
Health And Wellness Assignment
NR‐222 HEALTH AND WELLNESS REQUIRED UNIFORM ASSIGNMENT: HEALTH PROMOTION PROJECT PURPOSE To apply concepts you have learned about health promotion concepts and strategies, enhance your written communication skills, and demonstrate a beginning understanding of cultural competency.
COURSE OUTCOMES This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes. CO #1 Discuss the professional nurse’s role in health promotion activities. (PO #1 & 2) CO #3 Discuss health promotion, illness prevention, health maintenance, health restoration, and rehabilitation in relation to the nurse’s role in working with various populations. (PO #1 & 2) CO #7 Identify health promotion strategies throughout the life span. (PO #1 & 2)
DUE DATE The Health Promotion Project (RUA) is due in Unit 5. However, refer to the Course Calendar for variations in campus requirements and details. The Late Assignment Policy applies to this assignment.
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE 100 Points REQUIREMENTS
1. Identify a health problem or need for health promotion for a particular stage in the life span of a population from a specific culture in your area (this might include age and gender population as well). Choose one of the Leading Health Indicators (LHI) priorities from Healthy People 2020 (see the Healthy People.gov 2020 Leading Health Indicators website link in the Assignment section for Unit 2 under “Web Links). Students in a cultural concentration will use that specific cultural focus to complete this assignment.
2. Research a topic related to health and wellness associated with one of the Healthy People 2020 topic areas. Students in a cultural concentration will use that specific cultural focus to complete this assignment.
3. Submit your topic to the instructor for approval at least 2 weeks prior to the assignment (during Unit 3) but earlier if desired. All topics must be approved.
4. You will develop an educational health promotion project addressing the population/culture in your area. For or example, if you are in the Hispanic concentration, your project might be educational interventions to address how food choices are related to the high rates of diabetes among Latinos; or, a community project that addresses the statistic that Hispanics experience new HIV infections at more than twice the rate of whites; or, finding opportunities to intervene with Puerto Ricans, a Hispanic subculture, who suffer asthma at twice the rate of the general population (2020 LHI Topic Three: Environmental Quality: (see the Healthy People.gov 2020 Leading Health Indicators website link in the Assignment section for Unit 2 under “Web Links).
5. General expectations All articles must be from nursing or scholarly journals and should include health promotion and wellness
content. Articles must be published within the last five (5) years. If you are unsure whether the article is appropriate, ask your instructor. You could lose significant points if the article is not from a scholarly source and/or appropriate to the topic.
Please ask questions if you need clarification.
NR‐222 HEALTH AND WELLNESS
NR222 RUA Health Promotion Project Guidelines.docx Revised 06/2016 psb 2
PREPARING THE ASSIGNMENT 1. Writing the Paper: You will explore the topic and explain the information in writing a 3‐4 page APA formatted
a. Select a minimum of three (3) scholarly nursing or research article (published within the last 5 years) related to your topic that include health promotion and wellness content. Students in a cultural concentration will select at least one article specifically related to the cultural focus for this assignment. You may need to evaluate several articles before you find appropriate selections. For more information on how to choose a scholarly article, open the “Course Resources” tab under the “Course Home” Menu to the left of your Learning Studio (eCollege) course page and open “What Is a Scholarly Source.”
b. Write a 3‐4 page paper (excluding the title and reference pages) using the following guidelines: Write brief introduction of the topic and describe why it is important to health promotion in the
specific cultural population in your area. Include a description of the topic and the targeted sub culture or population (include statistics). Explain how the project relates to the Healthy People 2020 topic area you have chosen. Summarize the articles; include key points or findings from the articles. Discuss how you used the information from the articles for your Health Promotion Project. Provide
specific examples. Describe the approach/approaches you developed to educate the target population about the topic.
Include specific ways to promote lifestyle changes within the specified population relative to your specific culture. The approach should be appropriate for your cultural concentration.
Write your conclusion and summary.
c. Your paper must follow APA format. Include a title page and a reference page. Use 12‐point Times New Roman font and include in‐text citations (use citations whenever paraphrasing, using statistics, or quoting from the article). Please refer to your APA manual as a guide for in‐text citations and sample reference pages.
d. Use TurnItIn in time to make any edits that might be necessary based on the Similarity Index prior to
submitting your paper to your instructor. Consult with your instructor about the acceptable Similarity Index for this paper.
NR‐222 HEALTH AND WELLNESS
NR222 RUA Health Promotion Project Guidelines.docx Revised 06/2016 psb 3
DIRECTIONS AND ASSIGNMENT CRITERIA
Points % Description
Articles and Turn It In Submission
A minimum of three (3) scholarly articles is used as sources. Articles meet criteria of being from scholarly journals and include health
promotion and wellness content. Students will select at least one article specifically related to the cultural focus for this assignment.
Submitted paper to TurnItIn; Necessary/Appropriate revisions made based on originality report.
Introduction and Conclusion
Establish the purpose of the paper Create an effective conclusion that identifies the main ideas and major support
points from the body of your report. Minor details are left out.
Relate Topic to Target
Description of topic and targeted cultural population. Relationship to the Healthy People 2020 topic area. Statistics to support the significance of the topic.
Summary of Articles
Summary of articles include: Key points and findings of the article. Discussion of how information from the articles is used in your Health Promotion
Project (give specific examples).
Health Promotion Project
Description of approaches to educate the target cultural population about the topic
Specify a culturally sensitive approach to promote lifestyle changes within the specified population.
APA Style and Format
APA Style (Writing) Correct use of Standard English grammar and sentence structure. No spelling or typographical errors. Organized around required components. Information flows in a logical sequence that is easy for the audience to follow.
All information taken from another source, even if summarized, must be cited and listed on the Reference page using (APA 6th ed.)
Document setup: Title and Reference pages; Margins; Spacing; Use of Headers Citations in the text and reference page.
Total 100 100
NR‐222HEALTH AND WELLNESS
NR222 RUA Health Promotion Project Guidelines.docx Revised 06/2016 psb 4