Maria is a 29-year-old woman with a seven-month history of heavy, irregular menses, a 5-lb weight gain, constipation, and decreased energy.
NU641 Advanced Clinical Pharmacology
Week 14 Assignment
Interactive Thyroid Case Study
Instructions In this assignment, you will review the interactive Endocrine Thyroid Case Study patient scenario and analyze the data to determine the health status of the patient. You will need a minimum of two evidence-based practice articles to include clinical practice guidelines, as well as the course textbook.
Use the NU641 Endocrine Thyroid Case Study Questions (Word) document to complete the case study assignment.
Follow the requirements posted in the rubric.
This case study should be three to five pages, excluding title and references pages.
All papers must conform to the most recent APA standards.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
NU641 Case Study Week 14 Thyroid Disorders
Maria is a 29-year-old woman with a seven-month history of heavy, irregular menses, a 5-lb weight gain, constipation, and decreased energy. Her past history is unremarkable. She takes no prescription medications but uses iron and calcium supplements. She has a family history of thyroid disease. On examination, her weight is 152 lbs, her heart rate is 64 bpm, and her blood pressure is 138/86. Her thyroid gland is mildly enlarged, without nodularity. She has trace edema in her lower extremities, and her reflexes are slow.
Laboratory studies are as follows:
TSH is 15.3 mIU/mL (elevated), free T4is 0.3 mIU/mL (decreased), and total cholesterol is 276 mg/mL.
Diagnosis: Primary Hypothyroidism
1. List specific goals of treatment for Maria.
2. What drug therapy would you prescribe? Why?
3. What are the parameters for monitoring the success ofthe therapy?
4. Discuss specific patient education based on the prescribedtherapy.
5. List one or two adverse reactions for the selected agent that would cause you to change therapy.
6. What would be the choice for second-line therapy?
7. What over-the-counter and/or alternative medications would be appropriate for Maria?
8. What lifestyle changes would you recommend to Maria?
9. Describe one or two drugdrug or drugfood interactionsfor the selected agent.