[SOLVED] Africana Studies: Writing Assignment
I need an explanation for this History question to help me study.
Each student is required to respond to each question as thoroughly as possible, evidencing that you have read and interpreted the reading(s) that address the questions. Try to answer each question in the order in which it is given and to the best of your ability.
Be thorough and creative! Each answer should span no less than one well written paragraph ( I would prefer two) and should be written in Times New Roman 12-point font within 1-inch margins; while I have given the range as a guideline, I am more concerned with the quality of the work instead of the quantity.
1. Compare and discuss the Mono and Poly Genetics theories and the multiregional hypothesis in the work of Yefru, Kambon and Diop. To answer this question fully read Yefrus Chapter One. Kambon and the Worldview chart, carefully and discuss briefly why some anthropologists, like Milford Wolpoff and Charles Dawson tried to falsify scientific evidence and deny the existence of one single human race. Write your closing remark about the origin of our humanity. Where Diop fit within this conversation? Is he a mono on poly genetic theorist? Explain in detail. Be clear and concise.
2. Discuss the Paleolithic and Neolithic cultures. Read pages Chapter two and describe how the Paleolithic homosapiens became the Neolithic homosapiens. In your discussion identify and fully conceptualize the term Paleolithic and Neolithic, What are the time periods of each period as well?
3. What is the role of the Nile River in this transition from Paleothic to Neolithic culture? What are artifacts from the Neolithic period that validate how Neolithic homosapiens, Badarians, created their customs? What were the physical characteristics of the Badarians? According to Yefru, what were they the first to believe and why? How do we know? Lastly, where is Upper Kemet located geographically? Read Chapter two.
4. Explain the development of the African and European worldviews according to Diops Two Cradle Theory (Kambon, 128-129 and 142, and the Worldview chart handout). For full credit you must define worldview, survival thrust and discuss the climatic features that influence the psychological state of human development according to Diop and Kambon.
5. Read pages Chapter three and discuss the origins of the Kemetic solar calendar. How do the natural phenomena dictate the social phenomena and how did the annual Nile flood [inundation] became the natural clock and helped to create the only intelligent calendar in our planet? What is so important about this calendar? What are the three seasons? Identify the Kemetic months with the contemporary Gregorian Dates/months. (Chapter three) and also the Calendar Project.
6. Read The Calendar Project. Discuss, in detail, the development of the Roman-Julian and Gregorian Calendars. Where do certain names for the month come from, for example, the term August? When was New Years Day initially until 1753? Why was a seven day week introduced in 321 AD? What is the source of the Julian and Gregorian Calendar? The Calendar Project.
7. Why does the author suggest that African people should have and use their own calendar? Does the western calendar control us politically, culturally and spiritually? Do you agree or disagree with her assertion? Explain why or why not with evidence from her introduction. The Calendar Project.