[SOLVED] COMPLETE SOCIAL WORK THEORY Discussion (WALDEN)
Im studying for my Sociology class and need an explanation.
According to Garland (2013), there is skepticism about mindfulness as an effective intervention. Often, because of its philosophical roots in Buddhism, practitioners and scholars equate mindfulness with New Age beliefs. As a result, some may wonder how effective mindfulness interventions are. Recall from Week 1 that it is important to answer the question about the effectiveness of interventions by using empirical evidence rather than experiences or intuition.
You may not have experienced or practiced mindfulness. After you listen to the recordings found on the website listed in the Learning Resources, reflect on some of the following questions: (1) What did you notice? (2) What were you thinking while you were listening? (3) What were you feeling while you were listening? (4) How was your body reacting while listening? (5) How did you feel after you practiced mindfulness?
In this Discussion, you will experience an example of mindfulness and also determine whether mindfulness has scientific support.
- Listen to a recording from those found at this website listed in the Learning Resources: UCLA Health. (n.d.). Free guided meditations. Retrieved December 8, 2017, from http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations
- Read this article listed in the Learning Resources: Garland, E. L. (2013). Mindfulness research in social work: Conceptual and methodological recommendations. Social Work Research, 37(4), 439448. https://doi.org/10.1093/swr/svt038
- Conduct a library search in the Walden Library for one research study about the effectiveness of mindfulness as an intervention for the client in the case study you have been using. Remember when looking for studies to take into account your clients age, developmental stage, and presenting problem.
By Day 4
- In 1 to 2 sentences, respond to one of the four following questions in terms of what you noticed during the mindfulness exercise you completed:
- What were you thinking while you were listening?
- What were you feeling while you were listening?
- How was your body reacting while listening?
- How did you feel after you practiced mindfulness?
- In 2 to 3 sentences, describe your experience practicing this technique and how this experience influences your choice on whether to use it with a client during practice.
- Provide the reference for the study you found, and be sure to use citations in the body of your post using APA guidelines.
- In 1 to 2 sentences, briefly summarize the methodological context (i.e., research method, how data was collected, and the instruments used) of the studies and the findings.
- Evaluate the findings in terms of their validity and applicability for the client