[SOLVED] Essay 2 has to be 5-6 pages
Im trying to learn for my English class and Im stuck. Can you help?
Project #2: The Memoir
This assignment asks that you explore a more descriptive, emotional style of writing called memoir. Use the reading on structure of a memoir, the pieces by Cisneros and Shteyngart linked to in our course text, as well as course lecture to write your memoir.
There are several ways to focus your memoir. You can choose to focus on a memory, a person, an event, a time of transition, or anything else that appeals to you. But this memoir should be more of a snapshot than a life story. I dont want to know about everything that has ever happened to you up to this point. I want you to choose some piece of your life that is meaningful and write about it in great detail and description.
Using the pieces by Cisneros and Shteyngart linked to in our course text as models, draw on personal or community/family memories and artifacts, as well as public narratives, to recreate a specific time, moment, and place through narration and description. Be sure to incorporate a bottom line to your essaya lesson learned or a moral to your story.
In your memoir, you are expected to:
- Choose a topic that is appropriate for academic memoir writing (remember that you will be sharing this with the entire class)
- Use sharp details and vivid description in your memoir
- Use Cisneros and Shteyngarts pieces as a lens through which to write your own memoir
- Use your memoir to demonstrate a good understanding of this new writing situation
- Avoid clichés and stilted sentence structures and phrasing
- Use proper grammar, proofread closely, and polish your writing
- Create a strong, cohesive, and clear piece of writing
- Incorporate a lesson learned or moral to your story
- Your memoir should be 5-6 pages long
- It should be in Times New Roman, 12-point font, double spaced
- Please use APA or MLA formatting guidelines for your memoir
- If you use outside sources in your memoir, please use in-text citations and a references or works cited page
I will use a holistic scoring rubric to evaluate your paper that takes into account your mastery of such facets of writing as organization, development, grammar, mechanics, and usage. Adherence to assignment instructions and knowledge of the memoir genre will also play a part in your grade.
2 weeks ago you chose the topic, and wrote this.
I remember the day I got my first real job like it were yesterday. The sky was bluer that day and the cicadas were chirping more than usual in the early Texan morning. I remember waking up at nine like every other day and helping my father out with the inventory in the storage room of our bookstore at the back. I remember hearing the distinct sound of the doorbell ringing. The mailman’s hand-delivered our monthly subscriptions to the various magazines my family kept for entertainment purposes in our cozy bookstore. I remember my mother calling out my name. I remember rushing in towards the cash register at full speed and yanking the letter out of her hands. I remember holding the letter in my hand with a sense of trepidation and anticipation all rolled into one feeling; barely contained the excitement. I remember how awed I felt after I saw who the letter was addressed from; the chief editor of Vogue. I distinctly remember thinking how official my name sounded addressed on paper like it was, the culmination of my lifes work; my designs. I remember my parents and brothers puzzled expressions and their queries about the nature of the letter. I remember opening it finally, my eyes scoring through the letter from top to bottom and I remember thinking; this is what validation feels like!
It wasnt particularly hard for me to write this since Ive always been good at expressing sentiments in terms of descriptive words and through the usage of senses. I used certain scenarios from that early summer morning to depict how jolly my mood would turn out to be as soon as I got the good news, just like the writer used sensory details to not only depict Martin Luther kings tomb but also the experience of visiting it.