[SOLVED] Evolution Discussion
Im trying to learn for my Biology class and Im stuck. Can you help?
In simplest terms, evolution can be defined as a change in allele frequency over time. A fact of nature is that allele frequencies for any given gene are always in a state of flux and for that reason evolution is a fact of nature. At the same time we have evolutionary theories that help us explain why allele frequencies change in the first place. For this section we will explore these evolutionary mechanisms.
The purpose of this discussion board is meant for you to share an article or a news story that specifically deals with how evolutionary mechanisms are shaping nature around us (Natural selection, gene flow, genetic drift, mutations).
Your job will be to do the following:
- Give a short summary of what you read.
- State the evolutionary mechanism involved and explain how that evolutionary mechanism is working to transform the population in question.
- Lastly, you will have to give an explanation of what is promoting the evolutionary change in the first place.
- For example, a bacteria will evolve resistance to antibiotics if antibiotics are always present. In the absence of antibiotics, bacteria will have no need to evolve resistance to antibiotics. Its the excessive use of antibiotics that is selecting for bacterial genes that enhance a bacteria’s level of fitness.
- Make sure you cite your work so that others can follow the news article.