[SOLVED] Legal and Ethics Issues
In your future role as a health care professional you will be faced with complex and challenging situations. There will at times be a legal solution that can be applied to the situation. It is important that you are aware of what this might be so that you can confidently practice within these legal boundaries. Almost always there will be differing ethical positions that need to be considered. The purpose of this case study is to enable you to practice identifying a legal issue and possible outcomes, and consider why an ethical conflict arises.
Formatting the Case Study: APA 6th Edition
Please Use only Australian Related References Following the Case Study
Please find the attached document :- About case study and task requirements- Must follow APA 6th edition for referencing and Marking criteria at the end of the page
Full Details of the Task
You are required to answer the following legal and ethical questions. Your case study is to be structured in essay style with the following headings.
A short introductory paragraph that outlines what you will be presenting in your case report.
You do not need to include a detailed account of the facts in the scenario; the markers are aware of the facts and this is an unnecessary use of words.
structured sentences and paragraphs, answer the following questions in relation to legal raised by the case.
- As Edward had previously refused medical treatment for his viral infection, do the paramedics have any legal authority to institute treatment for his diabetic coma? What legal authority can you rely upon to support your answer?
- What elements must be present for this consent to be valid? What legal authority can you rely upon to support your answer? What potential legal consequences may flow if healthcare practitioners provide treatment without first obtaining consent?
- As Edward is unresponsive he will not have decision-making capacity. Provide a rationale that supports the legal obligation to obtain consent in these circumstances.
- List the potential options available for the healthcare practitioners to obtain consent for Edward’s ongoing care in these circumstances. What legal authority can you rely upon to support your answer?
- In circumstances where there are two or more substitute decisions-makers who could potentially provide consent, and they disagree, describe the legal options available to provide a definitive answer as to what course of action the healthcare practitioners should take.
- What factors will be taken into account when making a decision as to whether Edward’s life-sustaining measures can be withdrawn?
RECOMMENDED: [SOLVED] Ethical and Legal Issues